Monday, 25 May 2009

Autumn's Mosaic

Scarecrow's Log: 24:05:2009:

Winter is an etching,
spring a watercolor,
summer an oil painting
and autumn a mosaic of them all.
~Stanley Horowitz~

Temperatures this week:
Lowest Min 3.9C
Lowest Max 15C
Highest Max 21C
1mm Rain

What's happening in the garden?


We have cleaned out one of the garden sheds for a new home for The Black Ninja...I'll be using her old shed as a garden shed for me as it already contains all the garden tools.

We have harvested all the Golden Delicious Apples and removed the netting. Many trays of apples have been dried and Doc was busy making Apple Crumbles and Pudding Cakes on the weekend to put in the freezer.

I dug up the Spudz in a Bin...well at least they didn't rot in the wicking style bin. wink
Considering it was way out of their season the 625g that I harvested will provide a few meals of new potatoes.
The compost and soil that was left will make a great bed for some broccoli and lettuce.
I shall be trying this method again in spring for potatoes.

Propagation:
Potting up and Planting out:
Planted Broccoli Green Goliath and Butternut Lettuce seedlings into the bin that held the spudz!

Spotted in the Garden This Week!

The saga of Doc's escapee chicken continues. (see his comment on last week's Garden Log)
She will visit by sneaking in over the fence but she would rather spend her time roaming the nearby street, much to the amusement of the neighbours! rolleyesbiggrin
You will have to look closely at the photo to see her sitting on the fence behind the tree.

Autumn is mushroom season...but I won't be tasting this one.

The growth on Bed 3
has just about reached the limits of the curtain
and it looks like the Violet Sicilian Cauliflowers
are well on their way!

Bed 1 Greens are powering away too.

Even the last of the King of the North Capsicums
are producing, sheltered in their little plastic enclosure.

The tree in the kitchen garden is loaded with lemons.

The Pink Rosemary in the Dog Pen gardens
keeps the bees visiting.

Weekly Harvest Tally:
Doesn't include Greens fed to the chooks on a daily basis or herbs picked for use in the kitchen for cooking or tea making.
Carrots Atomic Red***140g
Celery Kintsai (Soup Celery)***125g
Potato Red Star***625g
Pumpkin Butterbone***4153g
Snow Peas Roi de Carouby***60g
Turnip Golden***283g
Apples Golden Delicious***9844g
Lemons***500g

Plus a yummy mix of greens for soups/stirfries/salads...Kale, Lettuce, Watercress, Chives, Parsley, Soup Celery, Beetroot, Turnip and Swede Greens.

Plus (or not!) 0 Eggs from any of the girls. eekeekeek

2 comments:

  1. Look at all that beautiful fruit n veg :-) Nice work indeed. I don't think I'd like to try that mushroom either, hah!

    I like the picture of the bee on the Rosemary.. each year I have Great Carpenter Bees visit when my Arabica flowers, enormous bees, pretty though. I've seen an interesting teal/blue bee around lately too, I must look it up some time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just don't have the climate here but I would just love to grow lemons outdoors. Citrus blossom is just the most heavenly perfume!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly. Email address is in my profile or use the "click here to email me" on the side bar ------->

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails