Sunday, 10 May 2009

64kg of Pumpkins!

Scarecrow's Log: 10:05:2009:

Temperatures this week:
Lowest Min 4.1C
Lowest Max 14C
Highest Max 18.5C
No Recorded Rainfall

What's happening in the garden?

The Black Ninja helped with the Pumpkin harvest!

With the threat of frosts looming fast we have harvested the rest of the pumpkin (etc.) crop. Of course the Black Ninja had to help...we weighed the pumpkins...they totalled 64kgs all grown in Wicking Beds.
That should keep us in pumpkin soup, scones, fruit cake/muffins/rock cakes for a while not to mention roast pumpkin...Doc's talking about drying some too. cool

In the Main Veg Garden



Peas and Swedes


Salad Greens



The brassica bed had a quick tidy up

and some greens went to the chookies!



Propagation:
Seeds:
Cleared and roughly hoed some patches around the garden for a few small grain beds.
  • Kamut Wheat Triticum persicum went into a fenced area in the chook run. This wheat is described as "Very large kernel, 2 to 3 times the size of modern wheat. Ancient grain thought to have originated in the fertile crescent." by Eden Seeds
  • Spelt Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta was planted in the unused chook run on the Northern side of the block.
  • Some Barley Hordeum vulgare was planted at the back of the old chicken house in the same run, this will get water runoff from a neighbour's shed roof (that has no gutters) and also from the chook house roof.
  • Over in the Almond area chook run (but out of any chookies reach!) I've planted some Oats Avena sativa.

While I was in the Almond area the pumpkin Wicking Worm Bed was cleared and topped up with soaked coir, old sheep manure, bagged compost and mineral mix. I also popped in some new worms from the worm farm as I didn't notice many when I cleared the bed. The bed still worked well producing over 40kgs of pumpkins over the summer. This bed was not protected from birds during summer...maybe they stole some of my wormies. sad

I have planted Broad Beans in this bed Early Long Pods and Coles Early Dwarf. As they grow the bed will be mulched.

Potting up and Planting out:

Planted out some Red Onion seedlings (sown at the end of February). These went into the Wicking Worm Bed by the chicken house where the Jumbo Pink Banana pumpkins grew. The area where they were planted in did not have anything added to the soil as the soil is rich enough for onions. As this bed isn't in full sun during winter we removed the shadecloth cover and I've planted some Celery and Silverbeet seedlings along the shady side with some added compost there.

I planted the onions as Peter Cundall (ABC's Gardening Australia past presenter) recommends by laying them flat on the surface of a trench and just covered their roots with soil.
"Just bury the roots with a little soil and, believe it or not, within a week the whole lot are standing up. That's how simple it is." so Pete says.

Last week's seeds have germinated
and will soon be potted up.



New or Found in the Garden This week:

One Perpetual Spinach plant
left to go to seed last year
has re-sprouted with some lovely baby spinach
leaves for eating!

The Water Chestnuts in the shadehouse
are starting to yellow off,
nearly ready to harvest.



Weekly Harvest Tally:
Doesn't include Greens fed to the chooks on a daily basis or herbs picked for use in the kitchen for cooking or tea making.
Carrots Atomic Red***120g
Pumpkin Queensland Blue***13115g
Pumpkin Sampson***38671g
Pumpkin Jumbo Pink Banana***11339g
Zucchini Tromboncino***1495g
Tomato Ida Gold***100g
Apples Golden Delicious***2906g

Plus a yummy mix of greens for soups/stirfries/salads...Kale, Lettuce, Watercress, Chives, Parsley, Soup Celery, Beetroot, Turnip and Swede Greens.

Plus 2 Eggs from the girls. I think we need some new girls!! eekeekeek

Thank you Doc for the yummy Mother's Day Roast and Cheesecake and for making the porridge this morning...

mrgreenmrgreenmrgreen

13 comments:

  1. That is a lot of pumpkin! I do the same as Pete with my onions and it works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your site. The pictures are wonderful. Though I live in the states, I have the same problem with warm and dry summers....I am trying many different ways to use less water. I'm anxious to browse thru and see what you've done.
    Have a great day
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always amazed by your gardening, look at all that pumpkin! Nice! This calls for one of my fav recipes for pumpkin:

    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14125/leek+pumpkin+goats+cheese+strudel

    mmm perfect, with those spinach leaves too.

    Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cosmic...I think a lot of folks are missing Pete from that show!

    Hi Sue thanks for the comment...had a quick look at your blog and think it's amazing how your garden is covered with snow in the winter! You folks really depend on your food storage during winter. I hope Henry grows well for you!

    Hey Rolley
    Great recipe there, thanks for the link. I'm sure we have enough pumpkins to experiment with a few new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But can you eat over 1kg of pumpkin a week?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi scarecrow I hope the pumpkins store over the winter? You had a bumper harvest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Peggy so do I, most of them will...I still have one left from last year.

    Ha Chookie
    I doubt if we could eat that much pumpkin but if I cut them up I can sell them at our local market...last month's pumpkin pieces paid for the site fee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am salivating at the sight of all those pumpkins! My Queensland Blue pumpkins are doing great! Hardening off outside for about a week now, I am planting them out today under cloches. Can't wait for the harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Scarecrow, Looking fantastic. Do you and Doc what to come to my place for a holi. I think I could a thing or 1 million from you mob. Cheers M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Chookie
    We also dry pumkins, we roast them and freeze them.

    Most of them store well unused for a year at least and any surplus gets sold and the profits go towards saving up for a holiday at Muzzy's place LOL

    Doc (Scarecrow's boss) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Sweety

    Here is the missing 'p' from my comment about pumpkins.

    P

    Hate spilchackers

    Doc (hubby) ;-)
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow -- look at all of those pumpkins! Awesome! Plus I love all of the other pics you have of your garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a pumpkin harvest!!! And what a pleasant spinach surprise yeah? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. As soon as I check them they will be published. If for some reason you have trouble leaving a comment feel free to email me directly. Email address is in my profile or use the "click here to email me" on the side bar ------->

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails