The Haybale Garden on Bed 3 is proving to be a worthwhile addition to the plan. The young Broccoli and Cabbages are looking good...just one problem!
The warm weather has brought the cabbage moths out. They are everywhere. Each time I visit the garden I check the backs of the leaves for the tiny eggs that these pests lay and squish them before they have time to hatch.
I needed a way to keep the moths off the seedlings. The weather is warm now but not really warm enough to cover things up with shadecloth yet. I have some fleece fabric but with the very strong winds we are having lately they'd be ripped to shreds in minutes.
I scrounged around in the old caravan that has become a store for 'you don't want to know what' (read everything) and found just the thing. Some old net curtains...left over from days when we lived in houses with big windows. I bundled them up and took them to the garden...they were too small.
So I took them inside and ran them up on the trusty Janome (sewing machine) and in five minutes was back in the garden with a cover that fitted.
The curtains were held in place by lengths of wood with rocks on them because we had 50km/h plus winds forecast.
I put jars over the ends of the stakes so they don't rip the fabric
They survived and hopefully so will the seedlings and their tiny companions, the newly emerged peas that are just showing their heads.
These curtains should keep the birds off the peas too!
Oca - Oxalis tuberosa Something new I'm trying this year is Oca (See here) Looks interesting! I've planted them in large pots so I can move them around. They don't like too much heat. So I'll move them to the shade in summer.
This is the final update on this compost heap...because I'm starting to use it!
The compost has been 'cooking' for 12 weeks through our cold and very dry winter.
Since building this heap we have had a total of 30mm of rain. We haven't had more than 5mm fall in one day so basically this heap has had no help from falling rain but has been watered with rainwater from the tank on each turn.
Was built on 2 June 07
First turned on 11 June 07
Second turn on 30 June 07
Third turn on 11 July 07
Fourth turn 29 July 07
Fifth turn 18 Aug 07
The cover has remained on most of this time only being removed on 17 August when rain was forecast (4mm fell)
I have begun using it:
mixing into soil for building up beds for spring planting;
putting in trenches when planting potatoes;
filling holes in preparation for pumpkins;
as a feeding, surface mulch which has been covered with dry straw.
Hot House Seedlings Just two weeks on...things are really growing fast. Warmer days are sending the temperature soaring in there. Over 40C...getting a shade cloth cover ready! Click on the photo to read the names.